Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Bremerton to Shelton

I left Bremerton in the early afternoon after spending the morning replacing chain rings and bar tape, and otherwise fixing up my bicycle. It felt good to be on the road again, but I stopped a couple times that day and old made it a about 60 km down to Shelton. I picked up groceries there, and found an RV park that would let me pitch a tent for a ten dollar fee. The grocery store was only three miles from the park, so after picking up pasta and sauce for the evening, I decided to try to carry the bags from my handlebars rather than repacking. I made it about a mile before one of the breaks tore, and my glass jar of pasta sauce slipped out and splattered on the road. Grrr.

I pulled over, lay down my bike, and went back into the road to clean up the glass. I was just about to repack my bags when a big truck pulled up beside me. "Where you headed?" he asked.

I explained that I had about two miles to go to get to my campsite. He offered a ride, and I accepted. "I was driving by as your bag was breaking," he told me. I was impressed, this guy had actually turned around and come back to help me out! "It's my good deed for the day," he said, as excuse for his kindness.

It took a bit for us to find the RV park--it wasn't exactly a tourist attraction, and didn't have much in the way of signage as a result--but we eventually succeeded, and the guy dropped me off, saying, "Well, maybe now you'll remember Shelton." Indeed I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment