Monday, August 12, 2013

Quesnel to Port Hadlock: the short story

Well, it's been a while since I wrote here...I suppose I've been busy doing things to write about. And still, I don't have much time on the internet here, so I hope to give a more thorough account soon.

I arrived in Port Hadlock last night to visit my old friend Ben, who's going to school for wooden boat building and restoration. It's wonderful to be here, and shocking after pedaling through rural BC for two weeks. From Quesnel, I pedaled almost to Lac la Hache and camped at the entrance to a BC recreation area after a late night, then did a short ride down to Clinton the next day (my ride was cut short by an all you can eat barbecue buffet...amazing!). The next day, I was planning to stay in Whistler with a fellow cycle tourist I had contacted through warmshowers.org--a kind of couch surfing website specifically for cycle tourists. After stopping for the buffet, that meant I had 250 km to go....It turned out to be a tremendous ride through the mountains, the most challenging and rewarding ride of my life. After two nights in Whistler where I enjoyed a hike in the mountains and seeing some new life styles, I continued onto Vancouver, and then Port Hadlock in the next two days. And now, at last, I'm enjoying some relaxing days and catching up with friends in the Seattle area. Tomorrow it's on to Aunt Val and Uncle Scott in Tukwila! And hopefully I'll find a couple hours to sit down and really write. Thanks for reading!

1 comment: