Thursday, August 1, 2013

Terrace to Smithers

After a prolonged stop in Terrace where I enjoyed the city amenities and avoided the sun, I started cycling on toward Smithers, planning to camp near a nice hiking area on the way. I wanted one more wilderness excursion before the population density got too big. I was looking for a nice day hike where I could follow a stream to be sure to find my way back, and in the middle of nowhere so it would feel like Alaska. If I could find some alpine, that would be a bonus.

However, I didn't make it that far before it got dark, so I pulled over in a nice looking pull out and laid out my sleeping bag on top of the rain fly for my tent: too nice out for the tent, and I wanted to be sure not to sleep in.

I was on the road again by eight the next morning, and had more or less changed my mind about hiking that day when I saw one of the Seven Sisters (a string of ~9000 ft mountains) peaking between two hills. A stream was running under the road, presumably fed by one of the glaciers on the Seven Sisters. This was too good to pass by! I spent about an hour stashing my bike and gear in the woods, tying most of my food up in a tree, and packing a day bag with the rest of my food and enough clothes to spend the night if need be. I sent a message with my SPOT, so that someone would no where I headed into the woods (I'd told my dad the day before that I was planning on going hiking).

The walk along the river was beautiful: lovely forest with no undergrowth. Eventually I stumbled across a small boulder patch that gave me a view of a small peak poking above tree line that started rising just 200 meters from the river. I took a compass reading (just in case), turned away from the river and went straight up to the alpine. It worked out better than I imagined: I gained the alpine before my turn around time, and it afforded beautiful views of the southern most peak in the Seven Sisters, as well as the road and Skeena River I was traveling on by bicycle.

I got back to my campsite early, although a bit dehydrated, and enjoyed some rice with powdered beef gravy for dinner before turning in.

After a good night's sleep, I resumed the cycle toward Smithers. I got a later start than I'd hoped (without a reliable alarm, it was somewhat inevitable sleeping in my tent), and ended up pedaling through the heat of the day. I sad to see the traffic begin to pick up, and the towns get closer together...definitely getting into more people! On the other hand, I enjoyed a delicious cinnamon role from a bakery in New Hazleton, and am now taking advantage of a wonderful library in Smithers...I'm looking forward to beginning to meet more new people as well.

Tonight, it's on to MacClure Campground, and then Saint George in two days or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment